Friday, September 26, 2014

How we arrived in Kenya....

Thought for the week:
True character is built when no one is watching.
adapted from Coach Wooden


Jeana and I are often asked how we started working in Kenya. The short answer is I went to help an organization start a college of business administration, fell in love with the people of Kenya and decided to figure out how we could be serve these amazing people.


All this sounds logical and simple. The truth is how we ended up working in Kenya is anything but logical and simple.


Jeana and I met about 20 years ago. We worked in the Human Resources department of an engineering company together. During this time we found out we had a common interest in striving to help others. For Jeana this interest started when she was a child. One Sunday, while attending church with her mom a missionary came to talk about his trip to Africa. for Jeana the seed was planted!


As for me, I love a new adventure! I firmly believe we all have a purpose but few choose to follow their hearts prompting. It usually means breaking through fear and finding yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Out of your element so to speak. I learned at any early age I wanted to help people...not care for them, but teach them to exceed their own expectations and challenge them to be their personal best.


It took many years and experiences to prepare Jeana and I to take those early desires and make them into a reality in Kenya. Those early desires were the early indicators of our purpose.


This is why we do what we do in Kenya...it is our purpose.


Thank you for reading!
Debra







No comments:

Post a Comment